EDUCATION AND CAREER
Prof. Kamphuis is a licensed clinical psychologist and full professor of ‘psychological assessment and personality’ at the clinical program of the University of Amsterdam (UvA). He is a graduate of the clinical psychology program of the University of Texas at Austin, where he studied as a Fulbright scholar. After finishing his internship at Duke University Medical Center (DUMC), he worked as a cognitive therapist/ senior researcher at the mood disorders program of the Academic Medical Center (AMC) in Amsterdam. In 1998, he joined the faculty of the UvA. He teaches clinical personality assessment at the undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate training levels.
- Full Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Asmsterdam (UvA);
- Senior Researcher at the Viersprong clinics for Personality Disorders;
- Chair of Clinical Psychology, University of Asmterdam (UvA);
- Chair of COTAN (Dutch Committee of Testing and Testing Affairs).
His current main research interests are in research that may promote the clinical utility of personality assessment (often involving the MMPI-2-RF and/or Therapeutic Assessment), and in factors that undergird the associations between personality and psychopathology (e.g. Demoralization). Other interests include forensic psychology, most notably stalking and risk assessment. He has published > 80 international articles and chapters, and books.
He teaches clinical personality assessment at the undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate training levels.
Most important articles and publications
- De Saeger, H., Kamphuis, J. H., Finn, S. E., Verheul, R., Smith, J. D., van Busschbach, J. J. V., . . . Horn, E. (2014). Therapeutic Assessment promotes treatment readiness but does not affect symptom change in patients with personality disorders: Findings from a randomized clinical trial. Psychological Assessment, 26, 474–483;
- Kamphuis, J. H., Noordhof, A. (2009). On categorical diagnoses in DSM-V: Cutting dimensions at useful points? Psychological Assessment, 21, 294-301;
- Emmerik, A. A. P., van, Kamphuis, J. H., Hulschbos, A. M., Emmelkamp, P. M. G. (2002). Single session debriefing after psychological trauma: A meta-analysis. Lancet 360, 766-771;
- Kamphuis, J. H., Emmelkamp, P. M. G. (2001). Traumatic distress among victims of stalking. The American Journal of Psychiatry, 158, 795-798;
- Kamphuis, J. H., Telch, M. J. (2000). Effects of distraction and guided threat reappraisal on fear reduction during exposure-based treatments for specific fears. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 38, 1163-1181.