EDUCATION AND CAREER
Doctorate (psychology, education and economics of education) at the University of Technology, Berlin, and Postdoc at the University of the Saarland, Saarbruecken. Full Professor at the University of Technology in Berlin, the Justus Liebig University Giessen, the Pennsylvania State University (USA), and the Friedrich Schiller University, Jena. Served repeatedly as Department Director and Dean. Was President of the German Psychological Society (DGPs), the International Society for the Study of Behavioral Development (ISSBD), and the International Union of Psychological Science (IUPsyS). Fellow of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the Association for Psychological Svcience (APS), Member of the Academia Europaea
Research Professor of Developmental Psychology and Director of the Center of Applied Developmental Science (CADS) at the Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Germany
Past President of IUPsyS
Editor International Journal of Psychology (IJP)
Involved in interdisciplinary research on the role of social and economic change in social and personality development, acculturation among immigrants, psychological antecedents of entrepreneurship, primary prevention of adolescent problem behavior, often in a cross-national format.
Advisor of doctoral students and postdocs within the “Jena Graduate School Human Behavior in Social & Economic Change” and the collaborative “Pathways to Adulthood” fellowship program, mentor to young scientists in career development programs.
MOST IMPORTANT ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Silbereisen, R. K. & Todt, E. (eds.) (1994). Adolescence in context: The interplay of family, school, peers, and work in adjustment. New York: Springer.
- Silbereisen, R. K. & Chen, X. (eds.) (2010). Social change and human development: Concepts and results. Sage: London.
- Silbereisen, R. K. & Tomasik, M. J. (eds.) (2010). Changing contexts – changing individuals: Psychological approaches to social, economic, and political change. European Psychologist, 15 (Special Section).
- Weichold, K. & Silbereisen, R. K. (eds.) (2010). Pubertal timing effects: A new generation of studies. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 40 (Special Issue).
- Silbereisen, R. K:, Titzmann, P. F. & Shavit, J. (eds.) (in press.The Challenges of Diaspora Migration: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Israel and Germany. Surrey: Ashgate.