EDUCATION AND CAREER
Robert Roe (1944) is emeritus Professor of Organizational Theory and Organizational Behavior at Maastricht University (the Netherlands). He studied psychology and received his PhD at the University of Amsterdam (the Netherlands). He was Professor of Work & Organizational Psychology at the Dutch universities of Delft, Tilburg and Nijmegen, as well as director of the Work and Organization Research Center in Tilburg and the Netherlands Aeromedical Institute in Soesterberg.
He is currently President of the European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations (EFPA, from 2009). He is also visiting professor at the University of Trento (Italy), The University of Valencia (Spain), the University of Leipzig (Germany) and the University of British Columbia (Canada).
He has done research on a wide range of topics in work, personnel and organizations, including personnel selection and appraisal, career development, work performance, organizational change, organizational and national culture, impacts of economic transformation, and research methodology. His recent work focuses at theoretical and methodological issues, related to time and the application of scientific knowledge. It includes the development of methods for temporal modeling, methods of multi-perspective analysis of organizational problems, and applications of design methodology.
He has taught on topics from diverse areas, ranging from work and organizational psychology to organizational behavior, organizational theory, and research methodology, to students of psychology, engineering, economics and business administration at the undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate / PhD level. He currently teaches design methodology, temporal research methods, work analysis, international human resources management, and organizational psychology.
MOST IMPORTANT ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Roe, R.A., Gockel, C., & Meyer, B. (2012) Time and change in teams – Where we were, where we are moving. European Journal of Work & Organizational Psychology. 21 (5), 629-656.
- Roe, R.A. (2011). Work psychology. In: Martin, P.R. et al. (Eds.). IAAP Handbook of Applied Psychology. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 978-1-4051-9331-3; pp. 209-232.
- Roe, R.A., Waller, M. & Clegg, S. (Eds.) (2009). Time in Organizational Research: Approaches and Methods. Oxford: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-46045-3.
- Solinger, O., Van Olffen, W. & Roe, R.A. (2008). Beyond the three-component model of organizational commitment. Journal of Applied Psychology, 93 (1), 70-83.
- Roe, R.A. (2005). The design of selection systems - Context, principles, issues. In: Evers, A., Anderson, N. & Smit, O. (Eds.), Handbook of personnel selection. Oxford: Blackwell; ISBN 1-405-11702-8; pp. 73-97.