EDUCATION AND CAREER
Education: Univ. Göttingen, FU Berlin, Univ. of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Univ. of Mannheim (Dr. phil, venia legendi-Habilitation);
Career: Professor at RWTH Aachen; Univ. Konstanz: Chair Develop. Psychology (until 2007); Head of division of Develop. Psychology & Cross-Cultural Psychology; Research Professor at German Institute Economic Research (DIW) Berlin; Co-Director Research Institute for Human Sciences, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt.
Member of several national and international editorial boards and scientific advisory committees:
e.g., Kölner Zeitschrift für Soziologie und Sozialpsychologie; Asian Journal of Social Psychology; Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. Research Center for Psychological Science (RCPS), Chung-Yuan Christian Univ., Taiwan; Scientific Council of Research Department, Univ. of Education Thurgau, Switzerland; Board of Trustees Werner Reimers Foundation, Bad Homburg (vice-chair). President German-Japanese Society for Social Sciences (Nichidoku Shakaikagaku Gakkai).
Development of personality in cultural context;
Socialization conditions, cultural values, and adaptation to social change;
Parent-child relationships and role of mothers` sensitivity for socio-emotional development;
Intergenerational relations and transmission of values over the lifespan;
Cross-cultural studies on self-regulation and socio-emotional development;
Development of prosocial behavior, empathy, and moral beliefs in cultural context.
Life span development;
Culture and development;
Socio-emotional development in cultural context;
Parent-child relations in cultural context;
Cultural values and self-regulation.
MOST IMPORTANT ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Trommsdorff, G. (2014). Cultural roots of values, morals, and religious orientations in adolescent development. In L. A. Jensen (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of human development and culture: An interdisciplinary perspective (Online publication).
- Trommsdorff, G., & Chen, X. (2012). (Eds.), Values, religion, and culture in adolescent development. New York, NY: Cambridge University Press.
- Trommsdorff, G. (2012). Development of agentic regulation in cultural context: The role of self and world views. Child Development Perspectives, 6, 19-26.
- Trommsdorff, G., & Cole, P. M. (2011). Emotion, self-regulation, and social behavior in cultural contexts. In X. Chen & K. H. Rubin (Eds.), Socioemotional development in cultural context (pp. 131-163). New York: The Guilford Press.
- Trommsdorff, G. (2009). Culture and development of self-regulation. Personality and Social Psychology Compass, 3, 687-701.