EDUCATION AND CAREER
Linda Steg is professor of Environmental Psychology at the University of Groningen, the Netherlands. She received her PhD in Behavioural and Social Sciences from the University of Groningen in 1996. After that, she was among others senior researcher at the Social and Cultural Planning Office of the Netherlands, and researcher and lecturer at the University of Groningen. Linda Steg is chair of the Social Psychology group at the University of Groningen, scientific director of the Kurt Lewin Institute, member of the Scientific Board of the Groningen Energy and Sustainable Program at the University of Groningen, and past-president of the Environmental Psychology Division of the International Association of Applied Psychology.
University of Groningen, Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences, Department of Psychology.
Her main research interests focus on understanding and changing environmental behaviour, such as energy use and car use. She is especially interested in understanding how values and moral considerations affect sustainable behaviour, and whether the effects of values and moral considerations on behaviour depend on situational cues. Also, she studies strategies and conditions for behaviour change, factors influencing the effectiveness and acceptability of environmental policies, and effective ways to promote a sustainable energy transition.
She teaches the Master course ‘Environmental Psychology’, and the bachelor courses ‘Applied Social Psychology’ and ‘Consumer and Economic Psychology’. In addition, she supervises Bachelor and Master thesis projects.
MOST IMPORTANT ARTICLES AND PUBLICATIONS
- Abrahamse, W., & Steg, L. (2013). Social influence approaches to encourage resource conservation: A meta-analysis. Global Environmental Change, 23, 1773–1785.
- Bolderdijk, J.W., Gorsira, M., Keizer, K., & Steg, L. (2013). Values determine the (in)effectiveness of informational interventions in promoting pro-environmental behavior. PLoS ONE, 8 (12): e83911. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0083911.
- Bolderdijk, J.W., Steg, L., Geller, E.S., Lehman, P.K., & Postmes, T. (2013). Comparing the effectiveness of monetary versus moral motives in environmental campaigning. Nature Climate Change, 3, 413-416. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/NCLIMATE1767.
- Keizer, K., Lindenberg, S., & Steg, L. (2008). The spreading of disorder. Science, 322, 1681-1685.
- Steg, L., Bolderdijk, J.W., Keizer, K.E., & Perlaviciute, G. (2014). An integrated framework for encouraging pro-environmental behaviour: The role of values, situational factors and goals. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 38, 104-115.