Before joining Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) as an ICREA Professor in 2010, I was an tenured Associate Professor at the University of California at Riverside (UCR), and an Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan (UofM), Ann Arbor. At UCR I founded and directed the Multicultural Identity Research Laboratory. I obtained a PhD in Social-Personality Psychology from the University of California Davis (UCD), and I was a funded Postdoctoral Research Fellow at UC Berkeley’s Institute for Personality and Social Research.
I am an appointed Fellow of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (+7000 members), Associate Editor for the “Journal of Personality and Social Psychology” (ranked #1 in this discipline), and Editorial Board Member for several psychology journals. My research has been funded by government and private grants from the US, Catalonia, the EU, and intramural funds from the UofM, UC, and UPF.
Cross/Cultural Psychology; Social Psychology; Personality Psychology.
Using correlational and experimental research designs, I examine the following issues:
MULTI/BICULTURAL IDENTITY: Dynamics and socio-cognitive correlates of managing two or more cultural orientations and identities; Individual differences in bicultural identity structure; Biculturalism and social-networks; Consequences of biculturalism (social, cognitive, and adjustment-related).
CULTURE AND SELF-CONCEPT: Identification and measurement of culture-specific and -general personality constructs; Interplay of cultural values and personality in predicting wellbeing; Bilingualism and self-schemas.
CROSS-CULTURAL RESEARCH METHODS: Cultural/linguistic issues in instrument development and adaptation; Combined emic-etic methodology; Psychometrics of multi-group cultural comparisons.
- Nguyen, A.M., & Benet-Martínez, V. (2013). “Biculturalism and adjustment: A meta-analysis”. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 44, 122-159;
- Ozer, D., & Benet-Martínez, V. (2006). “Personality and the prediction of consequential outcomes”. Annual Review of Psychology, 57, 401-421. [Reprinted in D.C. Funder & D.J. Ozer’s 4th edition of ‘The Pieces of the Personality Puzzle’];
- Ramirez-Esparza, N., Gosling, S., Benet-Martínez, V., Potter, J. & Pennebaker, J. (2006). “Do bilinguals have two personalities? A special case of cultural frame-switching”. Journal of Research in Personality, 40, 99-120. [2007 Journal of Research in Personality Best Paper Award];
- Benet-Martínez, V., & Haritatos, J. (2005). “Bicultural Identity Integration (BII): Components and socio-personality antecedents”. Journal of Personality, 73, 1015-1049;
- Benet-Martínez, V. & John, O.P. (1998). “Los Cinco Grandes across cultures and ethnic groups: Multitrait method analyses of the Big Five in Spanish and English”. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 729-750.